MWIA Tree Logo MW Yard Sale 7/25 9am-noon



Who are the people in MWIA?

We are residents of Mt. Washington, who want to support this neighborhood's beautiful character. MWIA Board Members are all volunteers.

What do you do?

We help preserve the zoned character of the neighborhood, advocate for issues that affect the neighborhood, provide a place to hear neighborhood concerns, and help acquire funds to support major projects.


How do I become a member?

You can download the membership form or sign up online.

What do I get for becoming a member?

You get the satisfaction of supporting your neighborhood's beautiful character. You also get a discount card for local participating merchants.

All MWIA members in good standing (i.e., who have paid their dues in full for the current year) are entitled to vote at annual meeting in June.

How can I become more involved?

To stay informed of current neighborhood issues and future projects, please read the MWIA newsletters, which are sent to all Mount Washington residents, and attend the MWIA meetings to learn more, to share concerns, and to advocate specific actions.

If there is a specific issue that interests you, please consider joining one of MWIA committees (non-board members can volunteer). Browse our list of current committees and please contact committee head directly if you would like to help.

Zoning and Land Use

Do I need to file for a variance?

When you apply for your building permit, you will be advised of this requirement. You may call the Zoning Enforcement Office at 410-396-4126 if you have questions about the zoning for your property. Should you need to file for a variance, we will ask you to present your proposed change to our Zoning Committee. Prior to this meeting we will ask you to poll all neighbors whose property abuts or is across the street from yours, and that you obtain letters or a signed petition of support.

How do I file a complaint of zoning violation?

Call the Zoning Enforcement Office at 410-396-4126 and discuss the matter. They should be able to verify whether the offence is a zoning violation, and if it is, what steps to take. If the issue is not actually a zoning violation, but you feel is inappropriate nonetheless, contact the MWIA Housekeeping Committee.

How do I find out about the latest decisions of MWIA's Zoning and Land Use Committee?

The best way is by attending the bi-monthly public board meetings, which are listed in the Calendar section of the website. Much of the Zoning and Land Use Committee business is fairly routine, as the majority of zoning variation requests deal with building an addition with the support of the closest neighbors. We do our best to circulate information, in timely manner, when there are major building issues that concern the broader community.